Saturday, November 17, 2007

Small Wave Wonder

This is my Ambrose Fish that I acquired about 6 months ago. A fellow internet addict found it on Craigslist and got it for a good deal. He mainly wanted the Speeddialer Fins. We worked out a nice trade and met in the OC, both with 6 month old baby's in tow. I used to get boards from Shawn Ambrose in the 90's, before seriously getting wrapped up into the whole Longboard scene (thats another story all together). Shawn shaped me some pretty great shortboards back then. When I jumped on the Fish bandwagon, I had always wanted to get another board from him. He's a pretty incredible shaper and a nice guy to boot. If your afraid of INK, he's probably not your guy, but, thats one of the things that makes him unique. He's a real person, not trying to sit up on a pedestal like many other shapers I know. So I finally acquired one of Shawns EPS Perimeter Stringer Fish, and it goes. Pulled up to the lot today and 3 separate people told me, "It's not that great," and "It looks better than it is." I pulled out the Ambrose and had a great time in waist to chest high Semi-Mushy waves. Well worth the time. So thanks Mr. Pepper and also Mr. Ambrose. Today I'm a happy guy.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6 comments:

AMBROSE SURFBOARDS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AMBROSE SURFBOARDS said...

hey g --

good to here that things workin out for you. looks like you have speed dialers on it?

gotta try my "quadzer " setup

plenty of drive but with a little more release off the top

may have a used set layin around you could try - lemme know -s.a.

brownfish said...

SA, These pics were taken before I got the board. Joel kept the Speeddialer fins. I'm running Bamboo LB1's in front and some smaller trailers in back. I forget which trailers they are from, I think they are AK4 bamboo, but they might be AK2's. They work real well. The Bamboo fins definately compliment the design.

Anonymous said...

Uh, you are always a happy guy. Least everytime I've seen you you were. Can't wait to see that thing in person!

JP said...

glad you're diggin it BF. i need to get one of those things around 5'6. after getting a chance to spend a few minutes around SA's shop a couple weeks back, i'm even more interested in his boards. a normal, grounded and laid back guy that does great work.

brownfish said...

Joel, I agree. My next one will probably be 5'7. This one is great on those small days due to the float EPS provides. It lets you skate on the surface instead of bog. All my small wave fish from now on will be EPS. When it gets bigger, you don't need the float as much, and you also need to be able to engage the rail, so therefore, a board the right size and also pretty thin, especially if you go EPS. My next Ambrose will most likely be a Sputnick Quad in EPS, 5'7 or 5'8, and 2 1/8" thick. Might also consider getting a board exactly like JP's but EPS (and thinner) to get a good material comparison. Especially if they used Resin-X.