Monday, November 26, 2007

One California Day - The BrownFish Review

I wasn't able to see it at the Movie Theater due to family obligations. I had heard it was a little long, but have been waiting for this movie to finally come out on DVD. You see, in my opinion, thier really hasn't been any good Surf DVD's since Broke Down Melody, Shelter, and Sprout. I tend to like movie's that mix it up a bit and have a nice mellow soundtrack. Something you can play as background music while getting stuff done around the house or rolling around the carpet with your kids. I thought this movie would fit the bill well. The lowlights were: except Alex's longboarding, the rest of the longboarding in the movie was subpar. I've seen both Tyler and Jimmy surf way better than that. Jimmy's segment riding a Hull was plain boring. Rather ride a Fish, And don't tell me a Hull is faster, cause I just won't believe it. They coulda left that out. So now the good parts. The highlight of the movie was watching Joel take apart a certain local well known Barrel spot on a Keel Fish. That is a heavy wave and he just made it look too easy, especially on a Fish. My second favorite part was watching Alex Knosts longboarding. You may think or say anything you want about that kid, but his longboarding is pure genious. Tylers art is good. Best overall segment was by Far Joe Currens. His segment had great footage, great waves, and great surfing. The "Don't Miss" part of the DVD set is the 2nd DVD. Scenes not included in the movie. They are just as good if not better than what was in the movie. Overall I would give it a B+, definately something I will watch over and over.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6 comments:

borntoloser said...

It's on my holiday wish list. I agree wholeheartedly with your review. I'm looking forward to checking out the bonus stuff.

Anonymous said...

Joel Tudor riding a fish at Big rock is a big deal? I watched Steve Lis and the Huffmans and Skinner ride Big rock on fish 35 yrs ago . Their surfing on kneeboards was 10 times better than Joel retroman.Not even in the same league.

brownfish said...

Your Key Statement, "I WATCHED."

Joanie + Ryan said...

thanks for the review. I'm also a big fan of Sprout and mellow soundtracks. Ill have to check this one out.

Anonymous said...

Actually my Pal, I was THERE.No need to get your panties in a bunch. I have been getting Lis and Pavel Fish since 1973.

brownfish said...

I'm glad you were "THERE." Talk is meaningless without pictures or film. Preferrably film, cause pictures can lie. So when you get it, please share. I would love to see it and even post it. I obviously know of the people you speak, but I really don't know many things in surfing that were more progressive or in a different league 35 years ago. Much like 35 years from now, the things we do that we think are amazing, will not only be standard, but sometimes even forgotten. If you have strong words about certain surfers, I think it would be quite courteous to post you name next to your words. That would be the right thing to do. Be good and you're good. Have a Merry Christmas.