Wednesday, November 14, 2007

DON'T TOUCH THAT BONZER!!!

This is what I heard as I was about to fondle a nice 5'11" Roundtail Bonzer 5 that will soon be sitting on the showroom floor as a stock board at Moonlight. It seems that I'm allowed to peruse the place if it were my own home, but I'm no longer allowed to touch the Bonzers. They usually tell me to make myself at home when I enter, which is a pretty nice feeling. I usually stop by at least a couple times a week due to my kids going to school very near by. So, back to the Bonzers. Well I've had a couple very nice ones. Everything about both of them I truly loved. Except, I couldn't ever get them to work for me. Yea, I could surf em, but not to the potential people seem to rave about. I was always tweaking this or switching that to try and get them to work as well as my Fish. I never felt that "5th Gear," that everybody raves about. Well I think I've felt it, just not on a Bonzer. So I always thought that maybe a standard shortboard shape with a Bonzer set-up might be a good call for me someday. A kind of "Barrel Board," if you will. This is what I was about to fondle until I heard those words, followed by, "You know that board has a center fin, what are you thinking." I guess you really can't feel at home until you get harrassed. Here are a couple pictures of the beautiful Bonzers I had in the past.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

8 comments:

Danny said...

That top one looks just like my Speeddialer just with a different fin set-up. Maybe I should ask for one for Christmas, fill in the gap between the fish and my short board that I never ride....

Anonymous said...

someday there will be a cure for your Quadraphenia. Then you may touch the Bonzers.

Surfsister said...

My son and I drove down to Moonlight on Monday to pick up my Bonzer speed egg. Go ahead and drool.

Anonymous said...

LOL @ "You know that board has a center fin"...

I'm about to embark on the Bonzer journey myself. I've decided to start it with a standard perfomance shortboard with e 5-fin setup.

I'm very much a convert to the quad setup as well, but would like to give the Bonzer a go. I'm a firm believer in trying things for yourself and not listening to the hype or hearsay surrounding it. My own shaper told me 4 fins were tracky and stiff years ago. I said build it anyway. He rides that same shape these days in a 4 fin. I just had the same conversation with him the other night about Bonzers. They need good waves, won't work in shitty beachbreak. Build it, I said. I want to find out for myself. I know, it's got a center fin...

brownfish said...

It's actually kind of funny. I grew up on thrusters, did quite a long stint on single fin logs, then got back into thrusters and eventually into the Keal and quad Fish. You would think I'd be able to figure out a Bonzer, but Pinliner is right, I need to stay away. Funny that he posted above when the words came from his offspring. I guess like father like son. One of the things that Dusty told me the other day is to try and make sure that your rear foot is right over the center fin. He says thats how he figured out his new Octafish. He was surfing it quite well the day he snapped that picture of Josh posted below. You should definately try one.

pranaglider said...

"You know that board has a center fin, what are you thinking." gets my vote for funniest line of the year. Great blog thanks

J.P. said...

I think both those boards probably had too much foam for you. I think you may surf a little too front foot for Bonzers. I think you surf your best on your orange Pavel twin keel but I've heard you say that isn't your favorite board. Have you ever ridden Justin's 5'7" 5 fin? That thing is sick.

unidentified said...

Have patience my friend, gear #5 will reveal itself. All's I can say is I felt it before I heard the Quote. I never really think about it then it'll surprise me again. Keep the faith.