Saturday, November 10, 2007

Is That Geoprene You're Wearing?

The debate continues. While browsing various blogs and the ERBB, there has been quite abit of debate regarding some of the newer wetsuit companies out and thier use of Yamamoto Rubber. The rubber is made with limestone instead of petroleum, which is better for the environment, and one of the reasons they are touted to be better. The others include durability, weight, stretch, and lack of water absorption compared to neoprene. The cost is higher and initially I was one of the first to say, "NO WAY, I ain't paying it." After doing my research over a few months, I finally broke down and bought the Matuse Hoplite 2mm Short Sleeve Fullsuit. I've used it every surf for the last 8 weeks and I am now a believer. It's light, flexible, warm, and looks pretty cool too. The other day I thought the water dropped a little and decided to put on my Rip Curl F-Bomb that was last years suit, but only worn twice. Now, I know I was comparing a 2mm SS Full to a 3/2 Full, but man that thing was heavy. I took it off after surfing and was just amazed at the weight. Wore my Matuse today and was back in the game. Hopefully I'll be able to get the money together soon for a Matuse 4/3/2. Go to www.matuse.com or click on the title above to check out thier line-up.


5 comments:

unidentified said...

here here. limestone's the sheet.
i'm a patagonia boy yet i've got the same ss 2/2 you got. love it.
worth every penny.

Anonymous said...

You sold me, G. I've got a 4/3/2 on order. Can't wait!

Steve ShShSh

brownfish said...

Good to hear Steve. Making you a believer is a pretty big deal. Once you're hooked, You'll probably sell more suits for Matuse than thier sales rep. Never met someone so stoked. Hope you got some good ones up thier over the Holiday. G

Anonymous said...

I have a matuse 4/3/2 here in cold wales, water is 11.6c now and i am fine, everybody else is in 5/4/3's.

stocked.

Mike Stewart said...

Finally was able to afford a Matuse, ok with the fit, and keeps me somewhat warm (I have a 4/3 Hoplite). . BUT…and this is a big BUT, I am very upset that they market this suit as eco friendly or as their website reads: “This rubber represents an environmental Lovefest”. Firstly, I am a chemical engineer here in Cali and secondly, I DO NOT WORK WITH A WETSUIT COMPANY. I wish I did because I could then get free suits to wear instead of spending over $500.
Calicium Carbonate (CaCO3) is no better for the environment than regular neoprene that the rest of the surf industry uses. Calcium Carbonate actually requires more energy to heat up than standard neoprene. Calcination of the limestone using standard equipment (pressure kiln or gas chamber kiln) will need to heat up to ≈850˚C or 1562˚F.
Standard neoprene, which by the way, already contains calcium carbonate, requires≈400 °C or 752°F. Now you don’t need to be a scientist to understand that the temperature is more than doubled in order to make this eco-friendly rubber. With more heat requires more energy i.e. fossil fuels, and with more energy means…more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. So…we may feel like we are saving Mama Earth but in reality we aren’t. For all we know there might be a huge hole in our ozone layer above Osaka at the Yamamoto plant.
But regardless of these facts, the blame is on the advertisers of Matuse. You could have just said, “The best neoprene on the market or even ON PLANET EARTH.” and I would have believed you. But don’t try and fool us when you could have done a simple Wikipedia search to understand the fundamentals of calcium carbonate or even standard neoprene. Do your homework guys, don’t let corporate salesmen (and women) sell you eco-friendly ideas just for the sake of jumping on the eco friendly bus. Don’t worry, Matuse hasn’t lost a customer, I will wear the suit until it falls apart…and then throw it away where it will take 7 million more years to go back to its state from which it started, calcium carbonate.