Sunday, February 24, 2008

Making Templates

There is many ways to make a template. You can mark your points out on a board, then use something flexible and connect them, you can trace a template from an existing board, or you can design a board on AKU shaper, then print out the outline, cut it out, tape together, lay it down on a door skin, draw it out and finally, cut it out. Of course the most important part is trueing it up and making sure that there is no humps and bumps. I like using AKU shaper, cause I can tweak things with a click of the mouse until I come up with something I like. Here is a quick photo versioin of how I do it.

4 comments:

vasco said...

Hey Brown how do you true the templates up?...what board is coming out of that one? looks fluid ...!!!!

brownfish said...

This is going to be my 6'4 Gunfish. I usually start with a hand block planer and get the bigger bumps out, then widdle down to 80 grit with a wood block. That outline isn't true yet, I only cut it out with the band saw after drawing it out. I try and leave 1/4" that I can widdle down to. I'm definately no expert, but it's kinda fun in way. I don't think that anyone should try to shape a board without first making a good template.

6ftnperfect said...

you have a band saw? jealous... My little jigsaw makes the doorskin jump around like crazy!

goofy said...

brother how do i print that pages of outline that you used to drown the template in the wood ?