Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Change of Mindset

I ran across this picture in the latest Surfers Journal while reading the "Summercloud Dreaming" article (page 111). It was right after the big swell we had here on the West Coast in early December. I surfed that day on a 6'10" round pin. Sure it was nice to have the length to get into waves, but once in, as usual, I was wishing I was on a shortboard. It seems to me, Unless your surfing Blacks, most waves move reasonably slow around San Diego when it's bigger (at least after you make the drop). So, getting back to my original thought. The board in the picture measures 6'4" and I normally ride a 5'7 or 5'8 Fish. I think the board in the picture just might make a good board for waves in the double overhead (and then some) range. Seems like it would have as much volume as the 6'10 or 7'0 that I normally ride, but be alot more manueverble once I got in. Hell MR won 4 World Titles on Twinny's and I remember the footage of him surfing Sunset and looking oh so smooth. Just a thought.
















These Brom Gunfish Images Submitted by Coque, thanks.

10 comments:

Coque A. said...

I have somewhere some pics of a board Steve Brom calls the Gunfish and it looks like it could surf well on the kind of waves you're talking about.

My fear would be backside bottom turns...

Coque.

brownfish said...

That has definately crossed my mind and is a good point. This picture was taken in 1978, so I'm sure their definately will be some changes. I'll probably have it shaped as a quad, which should help the backside attack a bit. Plus, I hate to say it, but when it gets big around where I surf, there are only two places I'll be going out, and both are Rights. Shoot me that pic, I'd love to see it. Thanks, G

R.T. said...

the moment i saw that pic in the journal my imagination was sparked for a "step up" fish as well! insane looking outline. the tail looks fairly narrow, would think that would help w/ the backside bottom turn.

Kyle said...

Step Up? We don't need to stinkin' step up with those backside turns...

That stretch fish is quite nice. Pavel and Josh Hall make some nice ones.

Kyle said...

...but then again, Eli is better than myself and those aren't DOH. But you get my point regarding the issue of backside. It can be done. And it doesn't have to be as elegant as Mr. Mirandon.

Kyle said...

Pavel Rocketfish

borntoloser said...

Personally, I'd use the same template, make it a round or diamond tail and set it up as a tri-fin.

Kyle said...

Josh Hall Website

unidentified said...

Early 80's I had a 6'4"Rocket Fish that was my main board. I loved that board and remember it working well in DOH K55. Eventually it was kiped. I been staring at Pavel's rocket with curiosity for a while.
Nice post.

Anonymous said...

I had Jeff Mccallum make me a board like that, and it works darn well, even on my backhand. I did end up making it a bit too wide but it still works for a log rider. Couple shots of the board in motion: http://sickshots.com/galleriescal/malibu/031407i/source/031405malibu184.php

http://sickshots.com/galleriescal/malibu/031407i/source/031405malibu188.php

This is the what the board looks like: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/555083989.html