Friday, February 26, 2010

Shut Down

I grew up camping.  Well, I guess thats not necessarily true.  My parents took us kids camping at the Colorado river once when we were kids.  Got us set-up real nice like, next to a mosquito swarm.  We lasted one night, got bitten to hell, and were out of thier.  That was the last and only camping trip I went on with my parents. 

When I started surfing, my friends and I used to go camp at the state beach campgrounds.  As long as you brought a note from your parents, you were good.  Not sure if that is still the case, but, we had some fun times.  Rob Miller drunk under the staircase at South Carlsbad, is probably the highlight of those trips.  Surf was always good, or, I just didn't surf well enough to realize what was good, and what wasn't. 

Those trips progressed into lots and lots of camping trips to Mexico in my 20's and early 30's.  Seems every other or third weekend I was heading down.  Even got to the point where I was partners on a trailer about 4 hours in.  Man, those were some incredible times.  I can honestly say, that, on those trips, the surf was fun.  In the end though, surfing is just a bonus.  It's more about the adventure.  Getting away.  If you get some surf on top of that, well, that just makes it that much better.

It's finally getting to the point where taking the kids camping is enjoyable.  They are old enough now where they can somewhat, take care of themselves.  Prior to now, camping was more of a chore than fun.  Constantly on the run, constantly watching, constantly worrying.  We'd get home from a camping trip and feel completely exhausted.

We've got a good percentage of the next 4 months set up with camping trips.  One about every 3-4 weeks.  Going to the desert during the flower bloom in early April.  Ventura in April.  Yosemite in early May.  Plus a few other one nighters dispersed between.

Our season was supposed to start off at San Elijo in two weeks.  An easy, close trip to get the season rolling.  I had planned this trip about 6 months ago.  You kind of have to.  In order to get a good spot at San Elijo, you have to be on the internets at a certain time, six months in advance.  I had the perfect spot picked out.  I've eyed that spot my whole life.  Always wanted to be sitting at the end of the cul-de-sac, facing the left.  Basically a chain link fence separating you and the water.  Spot 62.  It's always taken.  The most in-demand spot in the park.  I have never got to camp in it, or even around it.  Those cul-de-sac spots are hard to come by.  Last year or the year before, they closed down spot 63 due to it somewhat falling into the ocean.  A safety hazard.  They made it much smaller, and turned it in to a bike/hike spot.  So, six months ago, I sat at the computer, all logged in and ready.  The time came and I furiously started hitting buttons.  I FUCKING GOT IT.  Two nights, starting Friday, March 19.  Perfect way to start our camping season.  I was stoked.

I've watched all winter long.  The storms.  The waves.  The rocks.  The wall that protects the campground.  All slowly deteriorating.  I just got the call. Reserve America.   Spot 62 has now been closed forever, due to safety concerns.  Not only that, they can't even get us into the park that weekend, or any other for the next six months.  Sure we can show up and hope somebody cancels, but, thats alot of work with three little ones.  Yea, they are gonna give us a full refund, but, once again, I am left wanting...

3 comments:

gracepark said...

jonesing to camp again. morro strand wasn't enough. i love the tents, bonfires, roasting hot dogs, sleeping bags, smiles all around...

Joey said...

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/encinitas/article_b03dc9db-1d00-5c69-b62f-2a6b907ed42a.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention Murphy, indeed, I drank a lot on those trips and they will always be ingrained deep into my soul. I'll never forget all trips we made, the camping, the surfing and of course the drinking. I only hope your kids, our friends kids and my kid get to do the same thing, minus the craziness that we got into. Good memories.