Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Watch the Melon

A couple things I've learned while using the Handplane:

First, as stated in a previous post, people WILL burn you. Be it your best friend (who woulda probably burned you anyway), or just the random Donkey visiting from Kansas. It will happen. And happen ALOT. I try and keep my composure and remind myself that I'm not on a board. If I were, knowing myself, and my sometimes lack of self control, I'd probably be constantly yelling if I got burned so much. So, with my accepting attitude about being burned, all I ask is that you watch out for my Melon. I'm gonna be behind you, even though you think not, just don't cut back on my head. I kinda wanta keep it intact, at least for a few more years.

Second, boy, it's sometimes pretty blinding when planing. Many times, especially while trying to get into the wave, your head is completely underwater. Your kicking as hard as you can, trying to make yourself streamline like a fish. You can feel your arm planing, but, you're not quite in the wave yet. A few more kicks, and you're going. Raise your body and your head, and finally you can see. Hopefully you set your line correctly and are actually now trimming down the face. Uh Oh, you've gotta push through a crumbling lip ahead, there goes the vision. Whitewater in the face, still planing, hoping to push through. Yes, there it is, back on the face and a nice section ahead. Stall, pull in, twist your body so now your back arm is above you, and actually stalling in the back part of the barrel, and wow, you've just experienced one of the best sensations in wave riding. As close to what the dolphins feel as any human can get. So, getting back to the blinding parts. Many times I'm doing this in a crowd. Unlike surfing, where my head is constantly above water and I can see who is in front of me, I can't see people paddling out through the waves. Someday, and probably soon, I'm gonna hit someone. To that person, I apologize. And also say, next time, get the fuck outta the way, cause you're the asshole that just burned me.

6 comments:

ras said...

Charge ON!

how wide are those boards? I have some leftover red cedar that I can use for a little trial DIY action

brownfish said...

Do it. These are 16" x 6.5". They range from 12" - 20" in length and 6" - 10" wide. Have fun, experiment.

Uhaul said...

We want the moving blanket back!

brownfish said...

Sorry Uhaul. After our Uhaul rental left us stranded with 3 kids, no food, no diapers, and a two year old with a diaper rash the size of Texas, Billybob at the Encinitas Uhaul said we could keep it.

gracepark said...

Hilarious

Eef said...

First of all, let me compliment you on your amazing boards! Very beautifull!

Then: the blinding-thing sounds very familar. Luckily where i surf there are not many people surfing (because the waves are shit to most people's standards, not mine though haha) but when there is is nice onshore blowing is do wear a nice yellow helmet to show the kite-surfers where i am :D

Eef
monsterboards.org