Friday, October 23, 2009

Better Off Dead

Better Off Dead! Thats about the way I felt a year ago. At least weight wise. I was as out of shape as ever. Just look back at the pictures of me riding the Clownfish. I was up to 183. Now, you bigger guys might think that is not bad. At, 5'7, it is. I never want to be that old fat guy. All our lives we are constantly telling ourselves that it's time to start, so that we don't end up a fat longboard has-been that mainly sits on the beach talking story. My kids are still young, I want to be able to play soccer with them, or surf with them (at heavier breaks) when they are older. The thought of one boat trip to the Mentawaii's with the whole family filling the boat. Jumping off and Paddling out at some remote spot, with just my wife and 3 kids, sharing a perfect spinning head high right. I want to have that option. So, about a 10 months ago, I started. Started trying to get in the water as much as possible. Keeping active. Running as much as my schedule will allow. Mainly, eating better. Not necessarily dieting. Eating better. Less portions. Nothing late at night. Decrease the junk. So, after the first installment in the plan, I am down to 148. 35 pounds off, and down to a reasonable weight for my body. Now the key is maintaining it for the rest of my life. Getting back to the song. I have a soundtrack that I play while running. Mostly made up of songs that remind me of surfing. I know if I get to "Better Off Dead," then I've had a good long run. It always inspires me to make it up that last hill, not only make it up, but with a little zest.

5 comments:

pranaglider said...

That a huge move! congratulations

LESider said...

congrats!
I'm getting big and keep thinking about getting a bigger board as a crutch, I'm now going to go to the Y and swim a bunch of laps.
Thanks I needed to hear from someone who has done it.

gracepark said...

good entry, inspiring for me. i have been slacking.

Eef said...

i have been doing the same for some months now, and it feeld GOOD!!

Eef
monsterboards.org

Surfsister said...

I've been pretty much the same size my adult life. I can't say it's always been easy. Luckily, I love to workout and I don't like most foods.

Can you come over and get my husband on your program, please? He seems totally uninterested in mine.

Keep up the good work!