Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Groovy Little Hand Plane

I found this makeshift handplane on the beach about a month ago. It was sitting next to the kids boogies. It sat all day with nobody to claim. At the end of the day, I threw it in the back of the van and their it sat for some time. On Saturday I took the kids out to the low tide sand bar to boogie. Perfect reforms taking them quite a ways to the beach. I noticed a nice waist to chest high wave breaking pretty fast over the sandbar. Once the kids were tired, I grabbed my fins and did some bodysurfing. Next day, same thing. This time, decided to try the little hand plane that I had found weeks ago. I had so much fun. Never realized how much a hand plane makes a difference. I was actually trimming and pulling into some nice views. I'm addicted. It's all I've been thinking about for the last few days. At first I was a little turned off by the outline of this thing. It was pretty crudely made, no sealer, but they did put some belly into the nose. I had been eyeballing some of Hess's handplanes, and even looked at Peter's extensively. This one just seemed kind of basic. What I didn't realize, is this basic outline provides a pretty good ride, but, it also is very functional in the water. It's easy to paddle with, and actually, I was able to just palm it, and swim normally. I like it. I'm gonna make a few. I've got some leftover Redwood from our table project from last year that I'm gonna use. Gonna make some modification that I think will help performance and function, but, otherwise, gonna keep it nice and basic. Can't wait to get working on em.



5 comments:

BryanLamb said...

If you make a few, I'd like to buy one off of you. I've been considering making one to body surf with - but after my horrid attempt at shaping an alaia - I refuse to touch wood again.

Jon said...

That's Joe Gerber's. Or his son Gray. They brought it over so Micah could play with it.

gracepark said...

Yay :)

pranaglider said...

nice one, looks like fun!

brownfish said...

Joe and Gray are gettin a brand new one. Maybe even more better.