Saturday, August 8, 2009

Calling Hong Kong

So, how does this relate to surfing? Well back in the day, my buddy chuck and I used to hang out at Canyon Surf Shop. You know the one, where RP got his start shaping. Juan Grande owned. The same space Pavel now uses as the Greenroom. Well, since Juan was pretty much never around, JK would be manning the counter. It was usually pretty slow, so we'd just go in and BS. JK was really into music, he turned Chuck and I on to this band "Supernova," out of Costa Mesa. So, we'd pretty much go see them everytime they came down and played in San Diego. They were probably some of the funnest shows I've ever been too. This, for the record (no pun intended) was the last band that I owned a cassette tape from. They used to sell cassettes at their shows. So, I was talking to a friend the other day that lives in OC, and they said they worked in Costa Mesa. My reply, "Costa Mesa Hates Me," which is one of the songs Supernova used to play. It kinda flew over their head, which was understandable, but reminded me of those fun times JK, Chuck, and I used to have. Supernova broke up a few years later, and other than that stoopid Supernova reality TV show, I never really heard much about them. So, Today, I'm watching "Yo Gabba Gabba" with my daughter Rella, daizing in an out of a nap, and what comes on, "Supernova" singing one of thier songs. It was pretty cool. So a little research, and apparently they still play. I was looking for "Costa Mesa Hates Me", or "Hippi," but "Calling Hong Kong," will do just fine.


2 comments:

Worm said...

yeah supernova is forever. those guys on yo gabba gabba are in love with the band.

gracepark said...

what a fun band! i always appreciate a good live show, and i haven't been to one in a while. i will have to check them out live. as far as your friend goes, what a doofus. you should ditch this friend, fast.