Monday, June 23, 2008

Matuse - Are they really worth it?

I get a lot of e-mails and messages about this topic.

Everyone that has worn one is a believer that the function and warmth is pretty much unparalleled. But, what about the price? Most don't seem to mind that they are more expensive provided they are going to last. This is the main thing that has held alot of people back. They haven't been proven by the common foke to last multiple seasons. Yea, the pros and bros have had em for more than a year, some even two, but us commoners just haven't been able to put in the time.

So after having my original 2mm Short Sleeve Full for a whole year now, also wearing into the deep dark late Days of December, I can honestly say that there isn't one flaw in that suit. No rips or tears, no fraying, no cancer in the smoothie, NOTHING. I have put it through the test and can say it is going to last another season. Some will say that it is really only a transitional suit in the fall and spring, but not for me. I think I stopped wearing it in real late December, and started wearing it again in Early to Mid March. Of course I'm talking about San Diego water, but the warmth this suit supplies (only being 2mm and SS) is sufficient for most days, void of pre-dawn patrols.

I sent the Staff at Matuse various e-mails, trying to get them to make a full taped and sealed, Long sleeved, 2mm full suit. I'm sure they ignored most of what I had to say, cause they've got alot better guys out their testing their suits, but I'm happy to say that they have come out with somewhat of a compromise. For this season, The 2mm SS Full is now glued and blind stitched and also has the Fish Scale chest for better board traction and evaporative heat loss prevention. The one that I've had for a year now, even though ultra warm, isn't glued. They have also released the 3/2/2, which should put most of you cold water guys feeling free and lively through the summer.

Now the other big thing I seem to get e-mails and messages about is where can I get em. Many people have gone into shops that sell em, but they are out. Matuse suits are in pretty high demand right now. My friend had an order in at a shop for a SS Full, and he got it last week. He told me the manager said that a full new shipment has just arrived, including the new 3/2/2 fullsuits, and also a Long Sleeved top called "The Sophia" for the women.

So, to make a long story longer, don't fear change. Yea, the suits are a bit more expensive. Even though I would love to get my hands on the new 2mm SS Full, I can't rationalize it. My suits still in great condition after some solid use.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo!

(by the way, it's "folk" not "foke." And I'm not foking kidding.

-Steve Sh3

Anonymous said...

It's about time someone has made some sort of statement how long these things MIGHT last.

Paul

Anonymous said...

I agree, with all the negative press lately on the Patagonia's falling apart, it's hard to pay a little more for a suit that may not last. Even if Patagonia's have a great warranty, it's still a pain in the ass to take it back, etc.

brownfish said...

"by the way, it's "folk" not "foke." And I'm not foking kidding."

Oh, I know I what I was writing. In my family we have foke. No L needed. Now where is that emoticon I'm looking for?

Felipe Siebert said...

I Always acess your Blog through my Google Reader. Now I decided add your link to my blog (www.siebertsurfboads.blogspot.com) that's Ok?

my oficial website: www.siebertsurfboards.com

Good Waves...

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of buying the suit but wasn't sure so your post came right on time

Seahugger said...

Seahuggers.com is sitting on a full size run of the new and improved 4/3/2 hoplites. So, if you're having troubles finding them drop by our site.
Aloha.