Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My August Project

One nice summer July day, while digging holes in the sand with my 3 kids, one of my friends walked up to me and pointed out that a guy just came out of the water, stuffed an old board into the trashcan, and walked away. When I see boards left laying around broken and battered the first thing I always do is go check the fins. Often the idiot will leave perfectly good fins in the board when throwing it away. So, after about a 1/2 hour, didn't want to seem too anxious, I walked over to the trashcan and took a look. The fin was useless, but in my mindseye, I saw something in that old delaminated board. So, I stripped as much glass off the thing as I could and strapped it to the roof of my truck and took it home. The foam was then cut down to about 6'8" and put up in the rafters to let it dry out for 3 weeks. I never shaped a surfboard, so this was my first attempt. I was always very wary of ruining a perfectly good blank. Plus, I mainly do office type work and my tool schools maxed out in 8th grade shop. Sure I can cut a piece of wood, but, my main worry is that I'm pretty impatient when it comes to projects. I usually start off strong and am very detail oriented for the first 80%, but then somehow lose focus during the most important last 20%. Here are a few pics of the beginning and the finished product. To see the entire step-by-step process you can click on "My August Project" above or cut and paste the URL below:

http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1265540&page=0&vc=1&PHPSESSID=#Post1265540

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: