Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Times are a Changing

Lets just call today a "Kids Superstation Day." You see, my wife and I used to have what we called "Superstation Days" before we had kids. We'd get up early, go surf a long session, hang out for a while, stop at Los Dos for a breakfast burrito, then be home by noon. Having accomplished most of our selfish goals, and having no desire to tackle our true responsibilities, we'd call the "Superstation Day". We'd then sit on the couch and take in Movie after Movie for the rest of the day and night, usually on TBS Superstation (hence the name). Well, I am declaring today a Kids Superstation Day. It's spring break, I'm watching three kids today (2 of my own, and a friend) and I'm not at the top of my game. Still getting over a bit of sickness I had last week and spending a good percentage of time coughing. I Don't feel that bad, just alot of energy expended coughing. Luckily, at the AB3, I was post-feeling-like-shit, but pre-cough, so it kinda worked out OK. We'll get back to that later. So I figure since we are having a Kids Superstation Day, it's a good day to preview all the kids shows and Cartoons that are presently flooding, Nick, Noggin, Sprout, and PBS. So far I've found a new favorite. YO GABBA GABBA.
I think I must of lucked into this episode, but, they had Tony Hawk on it, pimping wearing pads, plus showing some skills on a fun looking 5 ft. half-pipe. They also had a nice, "CLEAN YOUR SHIT UP" (not in those words) song that was set to a nice SKA tone. Even the singer was doing a little skankin. So getting back to the title of this post, my parents wouldn't even let me have a skateboard until I was at least 12, now the kids are getting exposed at 1. Pretty cool.



The next part of the changing times, many experienced at the AB3. My family goes to that beach at least 2-3 days a week during the winter, and more frequently in the summer. Overall the event went off great. The surf could've been a little (well alot) better, but, once again the vibe was great. An incredible turnout of some of the most incredible boards around. Some of the locals, which, happen to be beach friends the rest of the year, weren't too happy. Some even had the audacity to get the State Park Rangers involved. I was pretty blown away by this petty behavior. Both by Rangers and also these so-called locals. How can you complain about people showing up on the beach on a day that you normally wouldn't have even paddled out? I know I wouldn't have paddled out, had it not been for the event and wanting to try all these great boards. These are the same locals who never complain when all the Old Woodies show up in the morning, 2-4 times a year, and take up all the parking spaces for a breakfast party. The State Beach System shouldn't complain either, I'm sure they made enough money to take care of that beach for the next month, due to day use or ticket collections. My thinking on this goes something like this. 10-15 years ago, pre-middle-age-longboard-explosion, this would have never been a problem. Now we have insta-locals that have paved thier way into the line-up by hanging out in the parking lot and drinking coffee. Many of them are my friends, as they are overall nice people. I try to be as respectful as possible. On the other hand, in my mind, you earn your status in the line-up and also on the beach. You don't go calling out others unless you've earned that status. As I've said many times before, I will never be a local at that beach, my kids will, but not me. It would never cross my mind to call out others, especially ones who have lived in the area for generations.













So getting back to the rest of the AB3 event, that went off well. It was a pleasure meeting and talking with many of you. The boards and turnout were amazing. The people great. Even surfing crappy, gutless waist high windswell, was a blast due to the attitude of the crowd.

Overall, the best thing about the day, was that my wife won "Best Art" on a surfboard for her Bamboo drawing on her 9'0 JH longboard. She is an incredible artist, and it's nice that she was recognized. I know she was truly stoked.

6 comments:

Bob said...

Congrats on the wifey's award. Great to hear.

Good surfing with you, as well.

Danny said...

its a shame people had to cause problems like that, kinda the same mentality as the Big Red Dodge guy with the longboard flipping me off at SanO. Leave the bad vibes at home and just go surf and enjoy everyone elses stoke as much as your own.

23 Breaths said...

Brown - Nice to put a face with a blog. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk.

Anonymous said...

her art was amazing...i even "pet" it to feel the paint....felt as good as it looked...i remember seeing it on surfysurfy(i think) and was pleased even thru pictures...nice piece, deserved the win..gorgeous looking.

the cookies made the drive home a treat, was there an award for those too?!?! if not should have been.

and that hull thing you got a pic of...i think i dunno what i think yet...reserving opinion until some decent waves to run it in...but first time, was interestingly fast.

ramble off,
blind in 1 ear.

borntoloser said...

I dig the "superstation day" thing. My son has taken strongly to skate and surf videos. This is good. I DVR the shows on fuel (almost worthless) tv. Now he has to slide down the driveway on a skate to complete his day. Your kids will be locals...can I get them to give my son a wave or two? :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for cookies and pass.Super fun times.

Agreed on your take of the Ranger Rick situation.

The good vibes and cool heads prevailed.